What do you get when you drown your zucchini in tomatoes and cheese? Well this is what you get!
I’ve been wanting to make a vegetarian lasagne kind of dish for a while now. Pasta-less aswell. And with wanting to make, I mostly mean wanting to eat. The problem is, when I finally suggested it to my boyfriend this week, he did not approve. It’s because the dish I had in mind used eggplant and he does not like eggplant. Says it tastes like shoes.
However, I knew this, so I had prepared for the situation, suggesting I’d replace the eggplant with zucchini. He still wasn’t happy about a lasagne without the pasta and meat. Why not just make a lasagne that’s like lasagne? So after I told him we’d not call it lasagne and after me whining a little while longer, he basically told me “Do whatever you want”. Yes, I could make my dish!
I loosely followed this Dutch recipe and with loosely, I mean I switched a few ingredients, used more cheese (it’s not my fault the package carried more than the recipe called for!) and I adjusted oven temperature and time. I feel I can safely say I made this my own dish.
When it came out of the oven, it looked just like I had imagined it would. Just like the food I had been craving for weeks. Even better: It tasted great too! Even my boyfriend reluctantly admitted he kind of liked it and today, while taking about the dish, he told me it tasted amazing. I’d say that’s a success, wouldn’t you?
By the way, this dish is totally vegetarian! Not vegan though, there’s lots of cheese.
Anyway, enough talking, onto the recipe!
- 2 Zucchinis
- 500g Tomatoes
- 150g Tomato puree
- 3 Garlic cloves (because we love our garlic)
- 250g Mozzarella
- 100g Grated cheese (or cheat, and use 200g, like I did)
- 2 Tbsp basil
- Wash the zucchinis and cut them in long, thin slices. Lay them out on a plate and sprinkle with some salt. Let this sit while you do the next steps.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them up into smaller parts.
- Cut the garlic cloves into small pieces, or use a garlic press.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- Heat up some oil in a wok pan and fry the garlic for a short while.
- Add the tomatoes and heat them up for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and heat up for another few minutes.
- Turn off the fire and mix the basil into the tomato mixture.
- cut the mozzarella into thin slices.
- Use a paper towel to dry the moisture off the zucchini slices, left there by the salt.
- Oil up an oven dish (or use butter) and layer your dish like so:
– Start with a layer of tomatoes;
– Add a layer of zucchini slices;
– Add a layer of cheese (mozzarella and grated);
– Start again with tomatoes;
– End your layers with cheese.
- Put your dish in the oven for 25 minutes.
First published on my Steemit blog.