When I find a yummie-looking recipe, I sometimes change a few ingredients. Usually it’s not that far off from the original. This time, however, I accidentally went a bit overboard.
Many grocery stores have free monthly magazines with lots of recipes in them. I’m always excited when there’s a new one out and happily leaf through them to find some nice ideas. I had one recipe lying around for about a year now. It was this tasty-looking mushroom potato oven dish and I was finally ready to try it. I switched out the ham for bacon and switched out the regular cheese for goat cheese.
So I started cooking. I Baked the bacon for a few minutes. Cut the mushrooms and the onion, baked them for a few minutes and added the potatoes and bacon. Added it all into an oven dish and added paprika and cheese. I put the dish in the oven and then I started thinking.. what’s supposed to give taste to this recipe, which originally held ham and regular cheese?
I had forgotten all about the herbal sauce that was supposed to go over it all! My boyfriend came home and I told him sorry, it’s probably not gonna taste all that great. I kinda forgot the biggest part of the recipe.
Turns out, the dish tasted great without the sauce! I was lucky for switching in the bacon and goat cheese, because that gave more than enough taste to the entire dish. It was actually so good, I want to share the recipe with you!
This serves 4:
– 800g Small potatoes (or regular ones, cut into small pieces)
– 400g Mushrooms
– 1 Onion
– 1 Bell pepper
– 100g grated goats cheese
– 250g Bacon cubes
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Cut the onion and cut the mushrooms in quarters. Cut the bell pepper in strips.
- Heat a skillet and bake the bacon for a couple of minutes (without oil).
- Take out the bacon and heat the onion in the bacon fat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the onion and again, bake for a couple of minutes.
- Add the potatoes and bacon, mix well and add the mix to an oven dish.
- Place the bell pepper strips on top of the mix and layer this with the goat cheese.
- Put the dish in the oven for 30 minutes.